Saturday 26 January 2013

Six Degrees Of Simulation

I was sat on the bus minding my own business this lunchtime, when a lady turns to me and says I look like Richard Gere. (!!)

Now I've been called many things in my life and I've even been compared to the odd famous person, but Richard Gere was a first for me. A mixed compliment to be sure, given that probably more pre-internet memes exist about Richard Gere than most other human beings on the planet.

Richard Gere, not Marc Nash

We do have similar glasses I suppose. Bet his are designer brand

Now in my youth I always mixed up Richard Gere with Warren Beatty, probably because both had um a certain reputation.

Warren Beatty: Neither Richard Gere nor Marc Nash.  

In fact there have only been two celebrities I have ever been mistaken for, on a very sporadic basis. The first is John Tuturro's brilliant characterisation of Barton Fink in the Coen Brothers' film. I can sort of see it in the face and round glasses and of course he is a writer, but the standy-up hair nixes the overall comparison.

Barton Fink a.k.a John Turturro 

Of course if it's thick wiry hair and wire-framed specs, then you also can't help but invoke Leon Trotsky, whom I have never been compared physically to... Mind you any shots of him with a moustache kybosh any possible similarity between us.

Leon Trotsky, possibly having stolen those frames since the mounting hook seems still to be attached


The other person I have been compared to, came about from someone informing me that they'd "seen me on TV last night in that Paul Calf show". I had no idea what they were talking about until I watched it back and realised they must have been referring to the student character stooge hated by Paul Calf. The actor's name was Patrick Marber who went on to fame as a playwright, penning hit plays such as "Dealer's Choice" and "Closer". Long trenchcoat and wooly hat, a student. Yeah I could see that one a touch. But he never wore glasses. 
Patrick Marber sans trenchcoat, wooly hat and sadly glasses

So there you have it. I'm not sure I look like any of them. But today I was told on the number 79 bus that I look like Richard Gere. Better than being compared to the back end of that bus I suppose....

6 comments:

Anne Stormont said...

You shall henceforth be known as Leon Gere :) like you say it could have been worse. I was told by a six year old pupil, "I like you Mrs Stormont" I was very pleased until she said "you look just like my granny." This was before I was a grandparent.

Denise said...

Sorry - not enough hair for Trotsky.
Still, you beat my worst ever pick up line - "Has anyone ever told you you look like Deirdre Barlow?" Err, no...

And in my very youthful days I was likened to Zola Budd. In looks only, wouldn't catch me actually running anywhere...God forbid!

Sulci Collective said...

not even barefoot like "our" Zola

Denise said...

Supposing we ever have enough sunshine for it, I might skip barefoot down a beach at some point. Not sure that counts as running though but...

Sulci Collective said...

Having watched "Get Carter" I thought all beaches your way were shingle intermixed with coal slake
:-)

Katherine Hajer said...

To me you look more like Werner Herzog. Well, except I've never seen him wearing glasses.