Friday, 11 February 2011
Rock Music has always been soaked in stale beer and cider as groups start off their gigging in dive bars and pubs. Here is a list of ten songs and artists who celebrate the hop and a drop of the harder stuff.
1) "Waxie's Dargle" - The Pogues
The obvious place to start a drinking chart lies with the Pogues. "Waxie's Dargle" is the ultimate song about getting served yet more drinks. Like a junky scoping his next fix.
2) "Whiskey In The Jar" - Thin Lizzy
For Gary Moore RIP
3) "Milk And Alcohol" - Dr Feelgood
4) "Gin 'N' Juice" - Snoop Dogg
5) "Brass Monkey" - Beastie Boys
Rum, vodka & orange juice mixed over ice (apparently)
6) "Alcohol" - The Kinks
7) "Alabama Song" - The Doors
Have you noticed how most of these songs one way and another are cover versions? Probably too pi**ed to come up with new material.
8) "Jesus And Tequila" - The Minutemen
By one of my favourite bands and yes another dead pop star, but D.Boon died in a car accident, not alcohol related...
9) "Pass The Courvoisier" - Busta Rhymes and Friends
There was a trend in rap to measure success as much by name checking spirit brands as the weight of bling. If I get famous as an author & go on telly, I'm going to name check smoothie brands to get me free crates sent.
10) "Hangover" - Serious Drinking
11) (one for the road) "Streams Of Whiskey" - The Pogues
We end where we began, with The Pogues, a paean to whiskey, but strangely enough not a cover version.