Thursday 23 October 2014

A Brief Meditation On Time - Drabble


Time gathered and heaped behind glass. Gravity was pressing down on the pile, driving the future  through the tapered present. Tiny grains of now. I try and clinch one in my sight, but it is too swift. Rapidly  supplanted  by another impelled from above. And then another. I can’t fix on any of these fleeting instants as they drop on to the mound of the past beneath. Whereupon they become swallowed and buried and I spend a lifetime trying to disinter any one lost moment. The future chamber is empty. Inverting  the hourglass I recommence the ungraspable passage of time.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So when you invert the hourglass, the past sands comes back through, hence the expression, ‘history repeats itself.’ Sorry, Marc, a seriously better thought whizzed through… By the time I started typing, I’d captured this silly one instead. Probably a tactic of minimization!
Oh to be so aware as to be able to fully enjoy even whisks of fleeting moments…

Anonymous said...

Not sure about inverted history, but that hourglass sure looks like a nice piece of history.