Tuesday 22 May 2018

Back In Black (It Never Went Away) - Blank Verse



Chemical spaying of the black dog sniffing around my mental de-scent, 
Ureic spray marking my ligneous hide.
Lightning volts to chase away the black cloud squatted somewhere across my pate
Lithium’s little local climatic murrain.
Acupuncture needles don’t hurt as much
But the vision lying on the slab like a stuck pig, 
Banderillas sprouting in every interstitial direction from my vegetative mire 
Multicoloured, chromatic, garish markers for trepanning bullish me 
The mounted picador pricks me, pierces me, permeates me, venesecting blood, lymph and chi flow
Transfusing blood black, sable, onyx and jet
Black is the new black, same as the old black
Lamentation, mourning, mold
Effaced contours of female flesh behind post-nuptial veils
Death cult zealotry over purity
Cimmerian, tenebrous, atramentous, places of Stygian gloom
Chthonic cave interiors, 
Lignite, bituminous coal, crude oil excreted from Gaia’s bowels
Tar and pitch for when you cover up the gouging of mother Earth.
Jacobean black bile melancholy 
Lucifer named for the light, but his visible rays only ignited by the plummet from Heaven,
Burning up on reentry, fleeting friction match struck phosphorescence.
Black heart black as sin, Goths just playing at it
Smokey Robinson’s - Smokey really? - “The Agony and The Ecstasy”
Here come the leeches… 

1 comment:

Denise said...

I love this line "The mounted picador pricks me, pierces me, permeates me, venesecting blood, lymph and chi flow"
Great rhythm and pace to this piece, it puts me in mind of Lear's fool.

I'm off to dig out my dictionary again now.