Sunday 23 July 2017

Blood Ink - Flash Fiction




My self-styled stylus isn’t disposed with its own reservoir of ink. Instead it relies on its incised strokes to be infilled by the upsurge of blood. My improvised fountain pen spraying the gist of me. But you can’t control such red ink swell. The blood blotter smear of self. So it is only once the flow has clotted and the skin cicatrised, that such graphic calligraphy can be anatomised. The straight edge of the razor makes it hard to curlicue any flesh inscription (made worse when the unhanded side has to grave the more favoured limb). So my chirography resembles little more than cuneiform. The Rosetta Stone of me. Can’t you decipher it you illiterates? Why, it’s not as if I hide my verbiage encased behind dust jacket sleeves. Here, I’ll re-carve it. A palimpsest whose abiding runes are imperishable, but the surface scar tissue is recast once again. I aim for a blue vein, but the ink still emerges the unsparing red of the hyper-critical inner-editor. I have no words, but I do have profuse red ink flow to share with you. 

4 comments:

Denise said...

Brownie points for use of one of my favourite words! :-)

Sulci Collective said...

Bu which one D?

Denise said...

Palimpsest...

Sulci Collective said...

Ooooh you're going to love my new novel which is not one, not two, but 3 palimpsests! And I've got a blog post on the subject to come in the lead up to publication day!